fbpx

How to know if I'm prone to cancer or not? - Omics Help Desk

Home Forums Epigenomics: How your genes get switched on or off How to know if I'm prone to cancer or not?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    markus
    Participant

Can epigenomics determine if a person is more vulnerable to having a cancer or not? What is the specific test for it?

Leonard_B
    Participant

I am not sure if this is the case for all cancers but I know in breast cancer, DNA methylation is one of the three known layers of epigenetic control of germline and tissue-specific gene expression. In normal healthy cells, the repetitive genomic sequences are almost always heavily methylated. So this kind of testing would possibly show early signs within the DNA that can cause breast tissue to mutate via loss of methylate.

Bioinformatician
    Participant

Epigenetic markers are not yet currently measured in the clinic but it involves detecting methylation of DNA. The breast cancer genes’ promoter methylation of seven genes were evaluated in a recent study (APC, BRCA1, CCND2, FOXA1, PSAT1, RASSF1A and SCGB3A1) by measuring Methylation levels in primary BrC tissues by quantitative methylation-specific polymerase chain reaction (QMSP) and in circulating cell-free DNA (ccfDNA) by multiplex QMSP
    The gene-panel APC, FOXA1, RASSF1A, SCGB3A1 discriminated normal from cancerous tissue with high accuracy (95.55%) high PSAT1-methylation levels [>percentile 75 (P75)] were associated with longer disease-free survival, whereas higher FOXA1-methylation levels (>P75) associated with shorter disease-specific survival.

The study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6262630/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Save Filter