fbpx

How much does a service like this typically cost? - Omics Help Desk

Home Forums Genome Sequencing How much does a service like this typically cost?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MDavis
    Participant

I have only heard about this a few times, once was a few years ago and again more recently when someone had mentioned they got their “genome sequenced” in a blog article I was reading. I am getting mixed answers on the cost of this service. Also, I would like to know how long something like this takes. It seems like it would take while to get results but some people have mentioned it being done in as little as 1 week.

patyb
    Keymaster

Great question! Prices are going down but it is still expensive. $599 At Veritas Genetics https://www.veritasgenetics.com/
    Nebula Genomics Offers FREE Whole Genome Sequencing to Customers Willing to Allow Their Data Be Used by Researchers for Drug Development

patyb
    Keymaster

It may take a few weeks to 2 months to receive the results

MDavis
    Participant

Yeah, that is still kind of pricey. I am not sure I would want to allow my results to be used for public research either, even if I get the information for free. I feel like there is no way in knowing what they will do with it.

patyb
    Keymaster

I agree nobody should give up their genome for public research unless they know exactly how their privacy is preserved and they receive some type of benefit from it. For example, a person could learn more important information related to their genes in health and disease, or a person could get rewarded financially for letting other research their genome sequences. In both cases, they should be assured that their genome data only stays with the researcher.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Save Filter