fbpx

How many compounds can be identified? - Omics Help Desk

Home Forums Metabolomics: All the metabolites inside you How many compounds can be identified?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MDavis
    Participant

I am sure this depends on the exact protocol that is being used but I would like to know what the typical average is. I recently became very curious about the interworkings of the human body and generally trying to understand mine more for the sake of health, mainly, but how “healthy” my overall make-up is. I have read you can get a very rich understanding of chemical reactions within the body using testing like this.

patyb
    Keymaster

In untargeted metabolomics you can profile hundreds to thousands of metabolites
    In targeted metabolomics you can profile 1000-3000 on average but with high confidence probably less.

MDavis
    Participant

So there is a chance of the test showing a lot of information but it is likely not to show that much? Am I understanding this correctly? Sorry, I am new to this. If there is a Metabolics For Dummies book, I should probably need to read it.

patyb
    Keymaster

They do not sell Direct-to-consumer metabolomics yet, probably because the biotechnology used (LC-MS, GC-MS or NMR) is too complex and expensive for samples from a single person. But in the field of metabolomics research, a scientist can choose to run untargeted or targeted metabolomics, he can therefore choose how much information he wants with how much confidence.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Save Filter