fbpx

Question about Health Insurance - Omics Help Desk

Home Forums A Plan to Study Your Health Question about Health Insurance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rokey
    Participant

I am a student in college right now and I’m doing research on Health Insurance and how it affects the economy. Here are my questions. Feel free to give me general information. That would be much appreciated. Sorry if some of the questions are a bit idiotic. D: I just seriously have no clue. I was stuck with this topic. Thank you so much!

1. Is health insurance free right now? 2014
    2. If it isn’t free, how are people paying for them if they have it?
    3. If it IS FREE, are people paying taxes so everybody is covered? (someone told me this. Idk if it’s true or not)
    3. Does everybody have Obama care now?

Judith
    Participant

1. Health insurance isn’t free.

2. There are state programs (called MEDICAID in most states) that offer basic medical care to people who meet minimum income requirements. MEDICARE (a federal program), which is available to the elderly and the permanently disabled, is paid through taxes that are taken from everyone’s paychecks. As elderly and disabled people also receive Social Security income, a portion of their monthly income also goes to Medicare. THIRD-PARTY or PRIVATE insurance … like Aetna or Blue Cross/Blue Shield is purchased either out of pocket by individuals or paid for by one’s employer as a workplace benefit (sort of like vacation days or paid holidays). This is considered part of each employee’s compensation package.

3. The only taxpayer monies that go to insuring people are described above, as in MEDICAID. Even though all working people pay into the MEDICARE system, they are still eligible for the federal program. So, in effect, others pay into the system for them.

4. or the second 3. Each person is responsible for acquiring insurance individually. Many are still covered by their employers, but that could change within the next couple of years. For any insurance program, the individual must contact the insurer and apply for benefits … it doesn’t happen automatically.

Health insurance and health care delivery makes up 16% of the American economy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Save Filter